Monday, March 3, 2008

Choo Choos, Cavities & More

Over the last few weeks we have been working on a few big-boy steps for Chase. He has some horrible habits that I am not proud of. Working outside of the home, I feel that I am not in total control of his daily routine, so things have gotten a bit out of hand...in my eyes (which is why I'm cracking the whip now)


The readers digest of what got us here is this: Chase has been co-sleeping* since Addy was born, he had to have a bottle** (of watered down juice) to fall asleep and put himself back to sleep, and it has been a huge mess.


A while back I noticed what looked like a chipped tooth in his mouth, and upon further investigation it was a cavity. We took Chase to the pediatric dentist a few weeks ago, and come to find out, he had 2 cavities and because he isn't crazy about having his mouth messed with, the dentist suggested IV sedation for the procedure. It was to take about an hour, and they were going to put sealants on his molars as well.


SO, that brings us to last Monday, 2/25...My little big boy had his last drink at about 1am, I got him out of bed and quickly into the truck at 7:45 and off we went...we were so lucky to get an early time slot of 8:30 for his procedure, as he wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything after 1am. This is no easy feat since Chase was so hooked to his bottle. We got him there, I took him back the Anesthesiologist gave him a shot in the arm and he was jello within a few minutes...they had me sit him in the chair and they did their thing...they brought me back about an hour later, had me pick up our little guy (who was still drugged up, passed out, with his eyes open...CREEPY!) and carry him into recovery. I rocked him for about 30 minutes or so and took some pictures of him on my camera-phone to prove to Bruce that he was OK, and then we were good to go. He slept for the next few hours and then was back to normal! We took a trip over to the park that afternoon and he has been great ever since.



We took him to NOVA Pediatric Dentistry http://www.novapediatricdentist.com/ and we love it there


The BIG BOY STEPS:


1) Chase hasn't had a bottle since the night before his procedure. He is only drinking milk and watered-down juice at meal-time and takes a sippy cup of water to bed. He is so repulsed by the thought of having to drink boring water, that he just whines for his bottle a few times and then gives up. :o)


2) The day before his procedure, Chase got a BIG present. A new bed! He is obsessed with Thomas the Train, so I thought that would be the perfect way to transition him into his own bed. It worked like a charm. Here is a picture of him getting his suprise...I'll have to take a picture of him passed out to post as well...it makes me so proud to see him sleeping on his own. It's great to not be stuck going to bed when he does, so we can spend some quality time together after the kids go down, do laundry, clean up, etc.



3) Last but not least, Chase had a nasty habit of watching TV to go to sleep. He watches the good-night show on Sprout and HAS to see the Thomas the Train show before he'll go to bed. Well, Mama-bear has cracked the whip, and when I put him to bed, I turn the lights off so it is pitch black, sing him Twinkle Twinkle little star a few times and he is out.


So, since I've written this post, I'll probably be doomed to a night of Chase not sleeping! :o)


*We are living with Bruce's parents right now, and they only have 3 bedrooms on the upper level...so, when Addy was born, Chase didn't really have anywhere to go besides in bed with Bruce's parents...he was giving us a really hard time about the crib at that time, and I wasn't really allowed to try the whole CIO thing. Ahem.


**He was never a binky baby and I wasn't allowed to CIO so he never was weaned properly.

No comments: